Our Family

Our Family
Our Family

Monday, November 18, 2013

Alexander Michael Stopulos is Here!

We believe that every family has a story - and sometimes, as Pete says, the sequel can be a bit more interesting. 

Last week, on Tuesday, November 12, I went into the hospital with cramps, contractions and mild bleeding. Dr. Barr - wonderful as usual - checked me and found I was already dilated one centimeter. I was taken by ambulance to the University of Iowa Hospitals. There is no hospital in the Quad Cities equipped to handle babies younger than 30 weeks. I was given two steroid shots and magnesium to stop the progression of labor.  It worked and on Thursday I was sent home. 

We had two uneventful days, when on Saturday evening, November 16, I began having regular contractions. I rested, I walked, I took a bath but nothing was making them go away. So we went back to Dr. Barr that night and she checked me again and I was continuing to dilate - this time to 2 centimeters. Instead of another ambulance ride, Pete and I opted to drive to Iowa City. Once we were there, they started the magnesium again, but this time it was to help prepare the baby's brain. There was really nothing else they could do to prevent the birth and doctors said that there may be a reason the birth was to occur that they didn't know about. Contractions continued throughout the night and at 4 AM I was 100% effaced and a birth was coming. Baby Stop II was breach so they planned for a cesarean section. By 5:00 AM we were prepped for surgery. I was scared but in extensive labor pains. As they were preparing the spinal tap, my water broke. So the quick planning by the doctors was perfect as they were already in position to quickly take the baby with the C-section. 

Alexander Michael Stopulos was born at 5:50 AM on November 17, 2013 - at only 24 weeks, 6 days gestation. He was 1 lb 8 oz and was approximately 12 inches long.

So far he is doing very well. These first three days are the hardest because they are closely monitoring his levels and seeing what he can handle - or what his normal assistance should be. He has a breathing ventilator, feeding tube and IV for fluids and one for blood. He had a blood transfusion today, which we can expect him to have a couple. The course of action is to keep him comfortable and growing! As soon as I have milk to provide he will eat that, but otherwise he will be using the milk bank so we can start getting nutrients. There are so many wonderful things we are learning people do for others, like donate breast milk. It's hard being in this situation but a learning experience that I know one day we will appreciate.

We will keep Alexander's story coming as it is starting out so different from his brother's, but know he is surrounded by love and faith and that we will bring him home!










1 comment:

  1. Praying for you all!! He's a Stopulos so we all know he will be strong!

    ReplyDelete