Our Family

Our Family
Our Family

Sunday, June 4, 2017

54 Days

It's been 54 days since I went into pre-term labor at 27 weeks with Baby Stop #3.

A lot has happened in those 7.5 weeks.

First, I spent 5 weeks at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. I met many people who I will forever be thankful for having in my life. Doctors, nurses, therapists and other moms in a similar boat - they helped get me through those 35 days. In addition, I had numerous family and friends visit, send care packages, plants to cheer up my room and lots of things to do. Pete, as always, was the rock of our family - taking care of our boys, our business, and our home (for the most part). It was lonely and heart-breaking not to be with my family but it was the best place for me to be.






Then, on May 15th at 32 weeks, I got to go home. It was incredible, scary, amazing and nerve-wracking all at the same time. I was so worried I would go home and go into labor. Before discharging me they checked me again - I was still 4 cm dilated with a bulging bag of waters. They were thinking I could rupture at any time, but 32 weeks was a gestation our local hospitals were comfortable with. I took it very easy - not even going up stairs and staying off my feet most of the time. As the weeks went on, I got more comfortable, even getting out of the house a bit. It was nothing too grueling and there was always a lot of sitting.




I was able to be at Papou's 100th birthday celebration and for that I was very thankful. The entire extended Stopulos clan made it in town and it was a very special weekend to be a part of - even with sitting the whole time.



There were also things I couldn't be a part of and that pained me deeply. My dear friend lost her sister and I wasn't able to go to Ankeny to be there for her or to grieve along side her. Unfortunately, it was too risky to travel on the interstate that long.

On June 3, 53 days after going into pre-term labor, I started having contractions again. They were irregular but getting closer together and becoming painful. We decided to head into our local hospital. It is from there, I still sit - fortunately pregnant. I did dilate further - I'm now 6 cm - but my bag of waters is still so bulging, they believe it's much safer for me and baby to stay here in the hospital.





I'll be 35 weeks tomorrow and am so thankful to have made it this far, however, staying in the hospital is the last thing I want to do right now. I know this is the best place for me and for baby though and am trying to be positive. There are so many things that could be wrong - what's another 2 weeks in the hospital (which gets me to 37 weeks)?? And it's very nice to be just 5 minutes away from my family so they can bop in whenever. Now I just have to take it easy and wait. Baby will be born within the next two weeks and we are very excited to meet him or her and start on the next phase of our lives, which hopefully does not include a hospital stay for a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment