Our Family

Our Family
Our Family

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

100 Days

100 days...whew. 100 days in the NICU. I never would have guessed we would be at this milestone. I hate to think of it as a milestone but when I dig deep I know it is just that. It's the hundredth day of miracles. I still have to remind myself that Alexander shouldn't even be here yet, even after 100 days in the NICU. We hope there are a few more miracles yet in store for him. 

Alexander continues his steady progress. They are slow to change his vent settings because he tolerates steady progress better than huge jumps. He's growing and growing and plumping up nicely. There's what I refer to as NICU fat, which is frumpy rolls of skin and fat on a short, stubby baby. Alex is starting to grow out of that and he's starting to lengthen out and get stronger - more like an average newborn. He will even lift his head a bit when he does tummy time. 

He's starting to be awake more and respond to our voices. We recorded a CD this week of us reading books and singing songs. The nurse today said she played it several times and each time his heart rate went down and he relaxed. I cried pretty hard when she told me that - sad that I couldn't really be there but happy that something I did was making life easier for him. 

Weight: 7 lbs 10 oz
Day of Life: 100
Gestational Age: 39 weeks
Alexander is: super happy being propped up in a boppy so he can look around his room. He gets tired pretty easy so then he settles in for long, cozy naps.
I feel: worried. I try not to dwell on hurdles that are ahead of us. Right now I am most bothered by the challenges Alexander may face when we eventually try to eat. I know I just have to focus on what's in front of us now but it's very hard. At least I have Pete to remind me of WIN - what's important now - and to just enjoy Alexander as he is and celebrate how far we have come. 
Lesson learned: Live in the present. If we spent all of our time worrying what was to come next, we would miss all the good things currently in front of us. And I don't want to miss one moment of our precious boys!






No comments:

Post a Comment